As close as I can get

Thursday, January 15, 2015








A diary of flowers
A year of love
As close as I can get

Changing things
Here it comes
No dust

A far away corner
And still this.  


















sometimes up there
jim hodges.  2013
via 
––––––––––

And then, it was 2015.

What was intended to be a few-day breather, full of Miles Davis and too many cookies, turned into two-going on three weeks of silence and self-reflection away from the blog - so hello again! How to transition into an entirely new year in just a meager paragraph.... My most recent source of inspiration might be a good place to start.

This past Friday after classes, I walked down to Hammer to catch Jim Hodge's exhibit in its final days at the museum. His work is an incredible mix of texture and color, both delicate and loud, intricate and full of emotion. It's about the small things in life, and temporality, the captions read. Hodge allows himself to explore so many material realms- textile, painting, photography, found objects, with a careful intention in seeing menial things in a new, different way. The importance of the unspoken bits is what inspires me in his work. Sometimes up there isn't from this particular exhibit, but it's one of my favorites after looking more into his work. Another favorite from the exhibit, here it comes.
Here's a little snippet written by Hammer Museum, found here: 

"Since the late 1980s, Hodges’ poetic reconsiderations of the material world have inspired a wide-ranging body of work. From the delicate nature of early wall sculptures—including Diary of Flowers (1994), composed with hundreds of doodled paper napkins, and Changing Things (1997), made from disassembled silk flowers—to the large cut-paper photographs of flowering trees, gold-leafed newspaper pages, and light-filled mirror mosaics of the past decade, Hodges’ art typically begins as humble, even overlooked materials that are transformed through his touch." 
- source -

The poem at the top of the post? As I walked through the exhibit's rooms, I jotted down my favorite titles of Hodge's works. In retrospect, reading these titles in the sequence I found them was a perfect way to remember my experience. As a combination of seemingly random words, arranging themselves in an unexpectedly beautiful way. 

1. what's left     2. As close as I can get 

As for the rest of winter break... 


I also saw Keith Haring's exhibit at the De Young when I went back home to San Francisco, and it blew me away. The volume of his work, the confidence in his paint strokes, his fluidity, his honesty, the fire within him. Whatever we create, however much we question our abilities, when there's a passion behind the work, it will speak volumes. 

Stepping away from blogging and sharing photos on instagram for a while, was granting myself time to critique and evaluate my work, my interests, and further more, myself... how many "me's" was that?  But somehow, I needed to find and regain a passion to create again. And simultaneously, to really live, to escape my own mind and be reminded that it's ok not to know, to give up, let go, try and try again. A lot more exists outside ourselves, and the bubbles we get stuck in sometimes- its scary how easy it is to forget this. Inspiration comes and goes, and I think that while motivation to create fades at times, so long as we have a desire to learn, we'll move forward, we'll be ok. 


And still this, photo via 

Since we're talking art and inspiration: 

-The Best interpretation of Jame's Blake's "Retrograde" I've seen yet, in dance form, by Melanie Moore (SYTYCD Season 8 winner). This is when movement surpasses your screen, and completely immerses you into an imaginative world. You feel the weight of their emotions, two bodies colliding and breathing with each another, molding into one. Watching this, then successively an onslaught of dance videos like Sia's "Elastic Heart" , I realized how much I miss the feeling of bare feet against wooden floor, stretching of muscles, slowly giving in to a good kind of pain. 

-"Sober", Childish Gambino. Definitely lighter and milder than some of his other songs. The music video is a very relevant reaction to our social interactions now, a great reminder how much can be said through body language. Love the energy he always brings, and the diner location is (index-thumb emoji).  

-"Minuscule", Bjork. I remember watching "All is Full of Love" in design class, and falling in love. Making it a point to learn more about this wonderful artist this year. 

-Slouching towards BethlehemMelissa recommended this series of essays when I told her I had read,  Play it As it Lays by Joan Didion. I'm working on it now, and absolutely loving it. Such raw, beautiful writing. 

Music, film, photography, dancing, painting, reading, writing. Easy to consume, easy to want to create, a lot harder to actually do. But when the desire finally comes, we can do it all. It's to feel everything deeply, whether this is passion, emptiness, everything. Finding a way to channel the energy into something worth creating, for others, or maybe simply for ourselves, that's a lifelong resolution.  




x


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© etherealist All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger