NYC on film: The Cafe's

Monday, October 20, 2014

- Toby's Estate.  08-12-2014 -
__________

EARLIER THIS PAST summer, you might recall that I took a short trip to NYC. Feels like a lifetime ago, but this morning, I'm excited to finally share a few film photos I took in the city! Eye-pleasing perfectly swirled latte art is, but the remains will always be my favorite. What used to be a steaming mocha and cortado at Toby's Estate in the Flatiron district above, and below: mornings at one of my very favorite cafe's in Manhattan- the Grand Cafe Lafayette. 

Safe to say, I've come a long way since my desire to solely shoot still life on film. Or rather, solely the 'pretty' and 'placed' in life. Several months have passed since then, and I've become more comfortable with this film camera. The levers, the dials, the weight of the camera feels more natural, less like an intimidating machine, and more like a visual extension of myself. And never have I found a medium of photography so rewarding. I've also shared my experience (and a few tips) for shooting with film on Apartment 34- find more words and photos here

- Grand Cafe Lafayette. 8-13-2014 -
____________

- More of my film photos on Apartment 34. Enjoy! -


x

11 comments:

  1. Love everything about these photographs — tones and shadow details, soft focus and holy moly the coffee art is on point. I definitely understand what you mean by having to get used to the film camera. It removes so much of that digital familiarity when shooting. I'm glad you're finally used to it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeffrey! The more I use my film camera, the less inclined I am to take out my DSLR. Glad you share the sentiment :)

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    Really beautiful!
    Is it possible to know what king of lens do you use with your camera ?

    Thanks
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks so much! My lens is actually attached to the camera (which is a Mamiya 500 tl) but its a 55 ml :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your answer. Is it an asahi lens ? thanks again :)

      Have a nice day,
      Justine

      Delete
  3. Looks beautiful. Hopefully someday I can see these places in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks, I've no doubt you'll love it when you do!

      Delete
  4. Hi...I commented on your post at Apartment 34 and I thought I would comment here also. Your post reminded me of how much I loved my Contax G2. It was a wonderful film camera that captured incredibly sharp images and was very useful as a travel camera because of it's size (rangefinder style). Plus, it was a really beautiful piece of machinery that just felt so right in your hands when using it. So for all of that...thanks...You've really made me miss my Contax (hope you're happy about that)...and cheers for your discovery of the "magic" of film as there really is something special about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robert, ah thanks so much for your kind words! I'm humbled and glad to hear that these images evoked these beautiful memories. Hope you are still able to shoot film photography, with or without your Contax! x

      Delete

 

© etherealist All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger